Best Cryptocurrency Exchanges of 2022
Despite the recent setbacks, cryptocurrencies are still a hugely popular new asset class among investors. Among the top Google searches for 2022, Bitcoin beats TikTok, Apple and the NFL and almost tops “restaurants near me”.
At last count, there are more than 20,000 crypto projects worldwide, and there are currently around 295 million crypto users in total, according to Debthammer, with 20% of them located in the United States.
If you are interested in buying crypto, you need to open an account with a crypto exchange. There are around 500 examples to choose from, and Forbes Advisors dug through the top players to identify the best crypto exchanges for both new and experienced investors.
Kraken is one of the oldest US cryptocurrency exchanges, founded in 2011, the Paleolithic era of cryptocurrencies. The platform offers a solid range of coins with very competitive transaction fees. It is also one of the few exchanges in the United States to offer margin trading, in addition to another set of advanced trading tools such as advanced order types and futures trading.
This exchange offers two trading platforms: Kraken and Kraken Pro. The basic Kraken platform does not offer the cheapest fees, although advanced users can get bulk discounts and reduce their costs by trading on Kraken Pro.
- Complex features are available on Kraken Pro, like margin trading and staking.
- Good customer service options, including a chatbot and phone support.
- Bitcoin (BTC) withdrawal fees are relatively low.
- Publish a wide variety of educational materials on cryptocurrency.
- Not available in all 50 states.
- Kraken only accepts a select number of fiat currencies.
- Many users complain about hacked accounts.
Gemini is well-suited to crypto traders of any skill level. The platform is packed with features, such as the unique Gemini Earn program to earn interest on crypto holdings and the Gemini Credit Card. Another big plus is that Gemini is available in all 50 states, and the company says it's committed to meeting all US regulatory compliance requirements.
- Simple, intuitive user interface.
- Available in all 50 states, including New York (a common omission among other crypto exchanges).
- Users can earn crypto rewards with Gemini Credit Card
- Conversion fee structure when not trading spot.
- Limited customer service options.
- Some popular coins are not available, such as Cardano (ADA).
Crypto.com offers a very good selection of cryptocurrencies, with over 250 cryptocurrencies available. The platform offers unique perks and crypto rewards to Crypto.com Visa Card users.
Users can leverage Crypto.com's Cronos token utility (CRO) to pay fees on the platform and earn other benefits.
- Trading fee discounts are available for users who hold high balances in CRO.
- Get as much as 8% cash back on Crypto.com Visa debit card spending for users who hold high balances in CRO.
- Limited margin trading is available.
- High cybersecurity ratings.
- Lower-volume trading incurs higher trading fees.
Another heavyweight when it comes to the sheer amount of coins available, KuCoin offers access to a vast library of altcoins with low fees.
The platform is headquartered in Seychelles, with a growing user base in Asia, Europe, the Middle East and Africa. While US users can access and use the trading platform, KuCoin is not licensed in the US.
- Wide selection of tradable cryptocurrencies.
- Competitive transaction fees.
- Reduce the amount of fees.
- Offers advanced features like margin trading and futures trading.
- Accept credit and debit cards.
- KuCoin is not licensed in the U.S.
- Funds kept on the platform are not insured.
- Suffered a major hacking incident in 2020.
Coinbase offers over 150 tradable cryptocurrencies, which should satisfy most investors looking to break into the crypto space. The platform features an easy-to-use interface that makes it quick to make one-time or recurring cryptocurrency transactions.
Customers interested in features like in-depth technical analysis may consider paying for Coinbase's Advanced Trading product, which also comes with enhanced security. Advanced Trade is also replacing some of the features offered by Coinbase Pro, which will be discontinued at the end of 2022.
- User-friendly interface and easy purchasing process.
- Strong user reviews and security features.
- Allows users to stake Algorand (ALGO), Cosmos (ATOM), Ethereum (ETH), Tezos (XTM), Cardano and Solana (SOL).
- High fees for convenience.
- Not available in all 50 states. Hawaii is currently awaiting support. New York residents are not eligible to stake ADA, ETH, XTM or ATOM.
Aug 23, 2022